As if we needed an excuse to whip up a batch of super fluffy pancakes, Shrove Tuesday (aka Pancake Day) has rolled round again. Thanks to our Executive Chef Guy Betteridge, you too can make these oh-so-decadent Scotch pancakes at home. Not saying we’re super excited, but we’ve been practising our pan-flipping action since Christmas…
Serves 4 (or 2 very hungry people!)
330g self raising flour
75g caster sugar
3 free-range eggs
440ml whole milk
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
50g dark chocolate
150ml double cream
25g unsalted butter
1. Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl.
2. Then in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil together. Mix both bowls together until you have a nice smooth batter.
3. Grease a non-stick frying pan with a little bit of oil on a medium heat. Then place a ladle of the mix into the centre of the pan. Once little bubbles rise to the top of your pancake, it’s ready to be turned over with a spatula. Continue with the rest of the mixture until you run out.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C fan.
2. Roast the hazelnuts for around 5 minutes (or until golden), then chop them into chunks. Turn the oven down to 100°C fan – you’ll need it later.
3. In a pan, whisk together the cream and butter. Turn the heat to low and then add the chocolate. Once it’s melted, take off the heat.
Place the pancakes on top of each other and place on a tray in the oven for a few minutes so they’re nice and warm. Add them to a plate and drizzle with the chocolate sauce and roasted hazelnuts.